God has given us the real responsibility of discipling our children in prayer. Home is the perfect place for children to learn to talk with and listen to God and to see such conversation modeled as a natural, daily habit. - Cheri Fuller
Life Lesson: Praying families release the life and blessings of the Lord.
George Barna said, "85 % of parents with children under thirteen believe they have primary responsibility for teaching their children about religious beliefs and spiritual matters. However, a majority of parents don't spend any time during a typical week discussing religious matters or studying religious materials with their children. Parents generally rely upon their church to do all of the religious training their children will receive."
Ten Tips for Praying as a Family
1. Make praying on the go natural. A great time to do this is when you drive your children to school or other events.
2. Pray over children as they sleep. Kneel by their beds. Lay your hand on their foreheads. Pray for an outpouring of the Spirit on your children.
3. Use table blessings to teach prayers. Take turns in the family praying. Sing songs or hymns as blessings.
4. Use meal times for discipleship times. Mealtimes may be the best time for engaging and teaching truth.
5. Pray briefly before going to bed. Keep it simple but consistent.
6. Make a family prayer plan. Monday - pray for a missionary, Tuesday - two friends, Wednesday - a people group, Thursday - thanksgiving, Friday - family members
7. Teach them to pray Scripture. Read a Bible verse and then pray it together.
8. Use Christmas cards as prayer reminders. Keep them in a basket and pick ones out during the year.
9. Use a Christmas prayer garland during December. Make a 24-link garland out of red and green construction paper. Write on each one a different family, person, or ministry. Tear off one a day and pray!
10. Keep a prayer journal for your family. Keep an ongoing, written record of God's activity in your life and family. Write down specific things, character qualities, and Bible verses you are praying for your children and family.